6.05.2009

Updates (and cool links)

I just realized today that I haven't done a regular blog post in weeks! By regular I mean one that focuses on my current life events and not just my art-du-jour. The last time I wrote a non-doodle or paint-post was on Mother's Day! Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's just that I want to remember all the cool stuff that's happened to me for my own reminiscing pleasure. I don't want to look back at this period of time and ask myself, "Gee, what happened? Did I just spend all my time painting or drawing?" No. And so, I present a few short paragraphs about the month of May and the beginning of June:
  • May 18: This was a real fun-packed day; instead of going to the beach as usual, Bettina and I decided to go to Borders, because Rick Riordan was doing a book-signing that day. Not that we own any of his books, Bettina's read a couple of his works, and she liked them, so it's because of her that we went. As it happens, the store had just been reorganized, different sections in different places, and the art section was placed near the area where Rick Riordan was doing his book-signing, so I loved it! I flipped through books about design, and catalogs of different company logos admiring the aesthetic appeal of each trademark. What a good time. After Bettina got Mr. Riordan's autograph, we went to the in-store cafe and bought ourselves a couple large, warm cookies. Nice memory. Then we walked from Borders to the mall (a few street-crossings away), and bought Pendragon 10 in Books-A-Million. I know, it's funny that we should come from a bookstore to another bookstore to buy a book but Pendragon 10 wasn't in Borders, so there. After that we sat down and had Chinese food at Panda Express, chow mein noodles with vegetables and fried rice, and spring rolls. Then Bettina and I read the first couple chapters of Pendragon 10 as we waited for the bus to take us home, and after that we walked through a golf course where we saw a rainbow and a family of ducklings. It was great to spend a day just me and my twin sister.
  • May 19: Pretty much ever since this day, it's been raining every day up to now. It's been nonstop wetness here in South Florida, and it's been great! That day me, Adam, and Bettina took a walk, each with an umbrella in hand, and at first it drizzled lightly, like a mist. As we walked further and further, the rain got heavier and heavier, until we had to put up our umbrellas like shields against the wind and downpour! We were completely soaked! It made for a great adventure, and an even better story. Better than the walk home, which was still rainy, but not as torrential. When we got back, we saw another family of ducklings, just like the day before.
  • May 22: Bettina and I went with Shira and Adam to a home school meeting. Normally the meetings are at the park, but since it was so cloudy and rainy, plan B was to go to Toniann and Kailen's house. Toniann and Kailen have a big, goofy golden retriever puppy named Bella, and she was great fun to play with. Me and my sister led a short presentation about fun math tricks and stories. A lot of fun was had by all. There were lots of snacks, like chips, veggies and dip, cookies. Even though it had rained, all the kids jumped on the trampoline, and so did me and Bettina. I just love trampolines! We kept bouncing long after the other kids left to swim in the pool. We also celebrated a couple of birthdays within the group, and there was card-reading and cake. We stayed for about 4 hours or so, and came back home happy and tired.
  • May 25: That day, me and my family spent an afternoon watching a community theater workshop production of Guys and Dolls. The whole cast were kids from about 8 to 16 years old. It was directed by the same woman who directed the play me and my brother and sister were in (High School Musical) a year ago, Ms. Judy. If you've seen Guys and Dolls before you'll know what I'm talking about when I say I wondered just how they'd be able to pull it off. I mean this play is about gambling! Still, there was some young talent, and the songs and dances were done well. But, as per usual, the sound booth in the back of the auditorium was dysfunctional; sometimes a song wouldn't start playing as soon as it should, and a few times, singers had to sing a Capella to cover up the discrepancies. Sometimes the actors' microphones weren't working, and they had to speak extra loud, until suddenly the microphone starts working again, and they have to compensate for being too loud! All in all, it might have been the best play in the world, but a bad stage makes for a bad theater experience. I know. High School Musical had a few kinks as well, but at least I got to play Ms. Darbus!
  • May 31: At the end of the month, after much hard work and planning, the eleventh episode of Leslie and Kyle was uploaded to YouTube, and since then it's gotten over 80 views! It's different from the regular format of the show, but it's still the same funny sock-puppets. Here's the link to the show!
  • June 3: Played a 2 player game of Boggle with Bettina, and then Adam. I lost to Bettina, but I also won over Adam. I love Boggle because it's fun to learn new words and rearrange letters. It's awesome when you get the 6 letter word that no one else got, or to have one pointed out to you that you didn't write down!
  • June 4: Yesterday, we played a family game of Scrabble, and Bettina won. Also I took two walks in the evening, one with Bettina to the supermarket, and one with Bettina and Adam around the golf course near our house.
  • June 5: And now, up to today. So far I've taken two early-morning walks and finished reading The Portable Film School by D.B. Gilles (a real good read for budding screenwriters, directors, movie makers, and moviegoers alike), and learned how to make myself a fresh fruit-n-spinach smoothie! It feels like it's going to be a good day.
Along with great days, I have been exposed to many great books and films since my last "real" blog post. Here, I present a list of movies and books that I've seen or read this past month, and I recommend them all!
I have read:
  • "Strangers on a Train" by Patricia Highsmith
  • "Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul 3 "
  • "Persepolis 1 & 2" by Marjane Satrapi
  • "I am America and So Can You" by Stephen Colbert
And I have watched:
  • "The Terminal" (a comedy with Tom Hanks)
  • "Death Becomes Her" (a dark comedy with Bruce Willis, Goldy Hawn, and Meryl Streep)
  • Company (a Stephen Sondheim Musical)
  • The Day After Tomorrow (an action film with Dennis Quaid)
  • Monsters Vs. Aliens (a Dreamworks Animation Studio comedy with all sorts of famous and funny people. See it, it's really cool and hilarious!)

No comments: