5.10.2009

Mother's Day Weekend

Mothers Day was a big hit for my mom. She loved everything we did for her. On the night before Mothers Day, we all went out to Flanigan's for dessert (skipped the whole seafood deal), and we had a slice of candy apple pie topped with 2 scoops of vanilla ice-cream, and a warm triple chocolate brownie with more vanilla ice-cream. It was a lot of fun sharing them, because they were so big! (Sorry if I make you salivate) We don't do that sort of thing very often, so it makes it all the more fun when we do. (On a different note, after finishing up our Mothers Day cards, Adam Bettina and I were able to watch this week's "Saturday Night Live" with Justin Timberlake, and it was great!)

I woke up early enough, and Adam and our dad, Benny, had gone to Publix and got a dozen bagels for a Mother's Day brunch. Bettina and I cut up some vegetables and set the table so our mom, Shira, wouldn't have to lift a finger. Everyone enjoyed the "bagel bonanza". After eating, we all had the pleasure of giving Shira our handmade cards, and she had the pleasure of reading them and admiring the artwork. Benny gave her a card too, though of course she's not his mom, but what the heck. Here's a picture of the card I made: 
I believe that the Mothers Day card I made this year beats all the Mothers Day cards I've made before. Can you tell I worked hard on it?

After breakfast, we hung around the house, and Benny taught us how to play "Polythene Pam" on the guitar. We didn't leave for the beach until late in the afternoon. It was a real scorcher today, and we made a goof-up...we forgot the beach blanket and a few towels that were left in the dryer! Oh well. The water was of fantastic temperature and temperament (it's rare to have both at the same time), and we all swam together as a family. We had brought along a whole picnic, but I wasn't actually very hungry. I suppose it was those bagels that filled me up. 

Most of the afternoon I read this book called "The Power of Body Language". Shira recommended it to me after reading the first few chapters on the way to New College the other day, and the book is really awesome. It's amazing, when you think about it, how long man must have walked this earth before inventing oral language. How did cavemen communicate with each other? Using body language. The subject has quite a lot to do with psychology, which I'm completely fascinated by, and the book teaches how to interpret different signals, like how to tell if a person is lying, or attracted to you, or happy to see you. It's got great pictures to follow along, and there are a few photos of former presidents demonstrating either proper or improper body language. 
(There's one that has Bush Jr. winking at the Queen of England after making a joke about her being old. Talk about insult to injury!)
That night, our parents went out, and us kids made spaghetti. We went to slept pretty late, after watching the movie "Role Models" and "America's Funniest Home Videos" on TV. Shira said, before she and Benny left, that this was the best Mothers Day ever, and I have to agree with her. I am so lucky to have a mom like her.

1 comment:

Rainy said...

Happy Mother's Day! Even if it's late...